Dr Richard Palmer Honoured
Writes John Twomey
Recently University College Cork bestowed Alumni awards on some of its most distinguished past pupils. Included in this year’s list was Dr. Richard Palmer, late of ‘Inver’ Ringaskiddy and an esteemed Vice-President of the Shamrock Club since 1998.
Richard graduated from UCC with a BSc in 1959 and went on to complete his MSc in 1961. He was honoured and acknowledged for his work in the field of Biochemistry His research on ovarian function contributed significantly in paving the way for the development of Assisted Reproductive Technologies such as IVF.
Richard was born in Ringaskiddy and a member of the Palmer Family who were based in Palmer’s Island, where the Ferry terminal is now located. The Palmer Family were in Ringaskiddy since the late 1800’s and were involved in a wide range of shipping activities including building, repairs, dredging, recovery and coasting up to the 1950’s. They were agents too for the White Star Line (owners of the Titanic). They serviced all White Star Liners that visited Cork Harbour.
They owned several boats including the Morsecock, Saorstait, Royal Iris and Failte. These vessels would take passengers and mail from the Liners to Cobh and return with outgoing passengers. These particular vessels were known as ‘Tenders’. They were the halcyon days when Cork Harbour, Europe’s most westerly seaport was buzzing with activity.
Richard played under age and adult hurling and football with Shamrocks. He was part of the successful Juvenile teams of the early 1950’s and won a South-East Junior Hurling medal in 1959.
His work has taken him to many parts of the world but his most favourite trip is back home to Ringaskiddy, his own place, filled with rich memories and history.
When the Shamrock Club was researching and preparing material for its History Book, published in 2002, Richard was most helpful and made a very telling contribution.
We send hearty congratulations to a distinguished son of Ringaskiddy on his academic and research accolades.