Immaculate Heart Of Mary Church
Shanbally To Mark Its Bi-Centenary 1819 – 2019.
Two Hundred years is surely a long time for any item or building to last and the little village church in Shanbally has stood the test of time and provided a place for worship and meeting for its people in the neighbourhood.
The people and the parish will mark the
historic year with some suitable and appropriate functions culminating with a
grand celebration on Sunday afternoon May 26th next.
It is hoped that planned events will bring together so many people who have various connections with the Church over their lifetimes. It can be a homecoming and a real opportunity to grace and acknowledge a very special and sacred place.
A historical booklet is proposed and there is a
request to all people who have any memorabilia ie. Photographs, press cuttings,
leaflets etc. to consider making them available to the organising committee.
Communications can be sent to John Twomey,
Shanbally or to Rev. Fr. Sean O’Sullivan PP: email@example.com
Designed in the old style with two wings,
galleries and main aisle as was common in those days, it replaced and older
church hall known as St. Michaels that was mentioned as far back as the year
1700. It appears that Shanbally was a centre, where clergy from surrounding parishes
gathered for meetings. There was a priest’s residence adjoining the church. In
those days it was part of the Passage Parish.
Over a prolonged period efforts were made replace St. Michaels and in 1819 the present church was opened.
Read the remainder of the story here: http://subscriber.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/subscribe.aspx?eid=c946bff2-f434-4a7b-a75d-621998d7e750