top of page
  • Writer's pictureOnline Journalist

Carrigaline To Meet Old Rivals Ballinhassig After Youghal Win

Writes Ciaran Dineen

Carrigaline 1-16

Youghal 3-8

Carrigaline have set up a mouth-watering clash with old local rivals Ballinhassig following a hard-fought victory over Youghal in the Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship (PIHC).

The result saw Carrigaline finish second in their group, coming behind Courcey Rovers who had handed them defeat in the opening round of the championship. However, Carrigaline managed to recover in time, with Sunday's victory over Youghal in Killeagh following up on their solid winning performance over Éire Óg in September.

Carrigaline came into the game missing one of their star performers from the last number of years in David Griffin. The former Cork senior hurler is very likely to miss the rest of the season after sustaining an injury while playing for the club’s senior footballers in their heavy defeat to Nemo Rangers in the Senior Football Championship. His presence in the half-back line will be sorely missed given his experience, but it looks like Carrigaline will have to do without his services for the remainder of the competition.

Despite his absence, Carrigaline started very quickly against their opponents, who were looking to avoid their third successful loss in as many games. A point from Éanna Desmond within the first 15 seconds of the contest was followed up by further scores in the opening three minutes from David Drake and Brian Kelleher.

Youghal responded but found themselves 0-6 to 0-1 down with ten minutes gone as additional points for Carrigaline came from Desmond, Kelleher and Rob O’Shea. From there the tide began to turn however, as the South-Cork team lost control before the quarter hour mark. Youghal picked up 2-3 over the course of the following ten minutes, with Carrigaline only managing a point from Patrick McBarron. Another point from a Brian Kelleher free kept his side within striking range, but Carrigaline went into the break trailing 2-5 to 0-11.

A strong response at the beginning of the second half was required and Carrigaline did not disappoint. A free from Kelleher was slotted over before a goal from Dave McCarthy was followed by a point from Simon O’Brien. Carrigaline continued their dominant spell, with a further two points coming from Kelleher and O’Brien, putting Carrig 1-12 to 2-5 ahead as the clock struck 40.

Youghal had yet to register a score in the second period to this point and looked as if they were beginning to wilt. However, to their credit they continued to battle and found themselves back within a point after grabbing their third goal of the game in the 53rd minute.

The introduction of Finn O’Connell gave Carrigaline fresh legs and the youngster picked up a brace of points during a period when his side needed them the most. It wasn’t vintage from Carrigaline but they held on to take the victory and now progress to the knockout stages of the championship and will now face local rivals, Ballinhassig, who have progressed despite their weekend defeat to Kilworth.

Scorers for Carrigaline: B. Kelleher (0-7, 5f); D. McCarthy (1-0); E. Desmond, S. O’Brien, F. O’Connell (1f) (0-2 each); D. Drake, R. O’Shea, P. McBarron (0-1 each).

Carrigaline: M. O’Mahony; C. Vaughan, S. Williamson, D. Stack; Kieran Kavanagh, Kevin Kavanagh, R. McCarthy; R. O’Shea, E. Desmond; B. Kelleher, P. McBarron, S. O’Brien; D. McCarthy, D. Drake, D. McBarron.

Subs: K. Dwane for E. Desmond (30’-32’, blood); F. O’Connell for B. Kelleher, K. O’Reilly for D. Drake (both 54).

26 views0 comments


bottom of page