top of page
  • Writer's pictureOnline Journalist

City Downed in League Restart

Writes Ciaran Dineen

Cork City 0

Bohemians 1

Cork City have kicked off their League of Ireland return with a disappointing loss to Europe-chasing Bohemians in a 0-1 defeat at Turner’s Cross.

The result leaves Cork rock bottom of the Airtricity League table, with just the solitary win against Finn Harps in March amounting to their total league point tally of three, with six games now played.

Alec Byrne started the game in an advanced midfield position for the home side, while fellow Carrigaline man and nominee for the College & University International Player of the Year, Rob Slevin, had to settle for a place on the bench.

The season restarter could not have gotten off to a worse start for Neale Fenn’s team, who found themselves behind with just four minutes on the clock. Some good skill from Bohs’ Danny Grant required Mark McNulty to make a good save in the City goal, but he could only palm the effort to Andre Wright, who you could say was in the right place at the right time, to slot the ball home and put Bohemians 0-1 to the good.

Pic: Players kneel prior to kick-off in support of BLM protests.

Deshane Dalling was without doubt the most threatening player going forward for Cork City and the man on loan from QPR managed to find some space and hit a shot on target with 11 minutes on the clock. However, the first half largely passed the attacking players for Cork by as they found it very difficult to string a consistent number of passes together in the play build-up.

Former Cork City centre-half Dan Casey commanded the Bohemians back four to great effect and at the other end of the pitch he was a serious threat from set-pieces, on one occasion sending a diagonal header just over the crossbar.

City were awarded their first corner of the game after 28 minutes but could not capitalise on the opportunity, and three minutes later they could count themselves lucky not to be reduced to 10-man following a clumsy challenge by defender Joseph Olowu.

The home side definitely came out of the dressing room for the second half with fresh impetus and immediately looked more pressing and confident. Dalling, for just the second time in the game, received the ball facing his opponent’s goal and looked very dangerous when he took on the Bohs’ right-back. However, there remained a clear disconnect between the attacking players, with striker Cian Murphy largely chasing balls that he himself was heading on from long-balls.

The game ebbed and flowed from the hour mark on, with neither side able to create clear-cut chances. Dalling and Galvin had decent attempts on goal saved by McGuiness in the opposition net, but neither effort looked too threatening.

If City were to find an equaliser it was almost certainly going to come from one of their front three and it was Dalling in fact who had the best chance of the evening for Cork as the game entered extra-time.

The winger made a run towards the six-yard box and was found by substitute Daire O’Connor with a low cross. Dalling looked certain to bury the ball into the net but he unfortunately mistimed his motion and the ball got caught between his legs.

Cork pressed for the final few moments of the game but Bohs held on to seal a much-deserved win on reflection.

61 views0 comments


bottom of page