top of page
  • Writer's pictureOnline Journalist

Cork Out of All-Ireland Series

Louth 1-9 Cork 1-8

Cork's All-Ireland season ended with a late Louth free in injury time in the GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship preliminary 1/4 finals in Inniskeen on Sunday.

The game opened at a slow pace and following a patient build-up before Chris Óg Jones injected pace into the attack, feeding Tommy Walsh, who fired straight at the Louth Keeper in the early exchanges.

Cork opened their account on five minutes after Brian O'Driscoll fired over a Brian Hurley pass.

Louth were level on nine minutes following a Craig Lennon point, but the parity didn't last long as Colm O' Callaghan put Cork back in front on ten minutes.


A free on 15 minutes for the hosts from Sam Mulroy had Louth level, before Ryan Burns had his side ahead after 16 minutes. 

Burns was on target four minutes later, giving his side a two-point lead.

Cork lost Tommy Walsh to injury, as Clonakilty's Tomas Clancy was introduced.

Settling into the contest, Cork's Rory Maguire landed a point to leave the score on four points to three in favour of the hosts on 25 minutes.

The sides were level after 29 minutes as O'Callaghan levelled proceedings and had the Rebels in front on 32 minutes, with a well-taken score.

Cork's full-back found the Louth net on 34 with a fisted ball following a pass from Ian Maguire.

Louth replied with a Mulroy point to leave the scores at 1-5 to 0-5 in favour of the visitors at the break.

Louth drew the first score of the second half with another Mulroy point.

First-half substitute Paul Mathews should have blasted the ball to the Cork net, but he blazed the opportunity over the bar.

The home side was back on level terms on 38 minutes, following another Lennon score.

Cork had three minutes in possession, but O'Callaghan wasted the scoring opportunity.

 Cork's team captain had the Rebels back in front after 51 minutes as the visitors regained the lead.

A breakaway by Louth should have yielded a score, but they wasted the chance.

Louth didn't miss the next chance, when a mistake by the Cork keeper left Donal McKenny in for a goal.

Cork fought back into the game, with Chris Óg Jones sending over a point after Eoghan Sweeney had a goal-bound shot saved.

Jones was on target moments later with another point to leave the side's level as the game ebbed and flowed in injury time.

However, in the dying moments, Louth manufactured a free that Sean Mulroy sent over, and despite Cork's best efforts to salvage the tie, the rebels fell short.  



Scorers for Louth: S Mulroy 0-4(4F) D McKenny 1-0, R Burns, C Lennon(0-02) each' P Mathews 0-1

CORK: D O'Mahony 1-0, C O' Callaghan 0-3, Chris Óg Jones 0-2, B O'Driscoll R O' Maguire B Hurley (0-1 each). 

LOUTH: N McDonnell; D McKenny, D Campbell, D Corcoran; C McKeever, A Williams, C Lennon; T Durnin, B Duffy; C Early, C Keenan, C Grimes; R Burns, S Mulroy, C Byrne.

SUBS:  P Mathews for C Byrne (27 Inj), L Grey for C Early (64), L Jackson for R Burns (68).

CORK: C Kelly; K Flahive, D O' Mahony, M Shanley; R Maguire, T Walsh, M Taylor; I Maguire, C O' Callaghan; R Deane, M Cronin, B O'Driscoll; B Hurley, Chris ÓgJones, S Sherlock.

SUBS T Clancy for T Walsh (23 inj), E McSweeney for R Deane (51), S Powter for S Sherlock (56), C Corbett for M Cronin (60).

Referee Noel Mooney, Cavan

It's the colours of Louth that claimed the spoils in the All-Ireland series today

52 views0 comments


bottom of page